2008/09/18

Week4 post 2

Consider a well-known speaker, for example, the current President of the United States (or Presidential candidate). What is this speaker's strongest characteristics as a speaker? Is it credibility, attractiveness, power, or all three? In what ways could the speaker build ethos in these areas?


I think Barack Obama is a great speaker in the U.S. His speeches grab listeners’ heart because it has a good content. He doesn’t just talk. He talks because he has something that he wants to tell to particular people with passion. I remember my senior coworker said, “It was like I am seeing Martin Luther King Jr. again when I heard Barack Obama's speech.” I think his attractiveness comes from his young yet intelligent appearance, and the words he says, which are from citizens’ point of view. His intelligence is also a power so people listen to him, and his serious attitude towards social issues raises credibility of voters.

Japan is also in a middle of a presidential election, but all of the presidential candidates don’t seem good speakers. First of all, they don’t speech in a public that often. When they do, it is not a speech, but saying words that are on a transcript. I suppose many Japanese people are thinking, “who ever it will be.”

I believe choosing a president is an extremely important event of a country. Depending on who will be a president, a country and even the world change. Thus, I think these candidates’ campaigns in the U.S. are doing particularly a good job by getting citizens’ attentions to politics.

1 件のコメント:

Reese さんのコメント...

I really enjoyed reading your blog. It is very interesting to hear someone's opinion on American government and politics when they are not from this country. Most foreigners really hate American politics. It is refreshing to hear someone from another country speak about our leaders in an encouraging way.

I agree with you that listening to Obama speak does have a familiar vibe to Martin Luther King. Both Obama and Martin Luther King Jr really want to see a sense of comrade. Obama wants equality in sense in terms of healthcare and things like that. It is almost like Obama is picking up where MLK left off. I loved the connection you drew between these two leaders it was really fun to explore it further.

I also found it interesting that Japan's political leaders aren't that great at public speaking. It is hard to listen to bad speakers and the quality of a speech really affects the outcome e of an election. Therefore world leaders need to be excellent speakers.

Good connections in this blog, I liked it.