2008/10/08

week 7 post 2

Although nonverbal messages are more universal than verbal messages, nonverbals do not always carry the same meanings in other cultures. Can you give examples of some of the nonverbal displays that take on different meanings in other countries? If you have moved around within this country, have you ever encountered regional differences in nonverbal meaning?

There are many nonverbal displays that take on different meanings in the world. When I talked with people from all over the world, I encountered some differences of nonverbal communications. One of the examples is when I talked with my friend from Egypt. When we were talking, I rested my elbow on the table and supported my head. In Japan, when friends are relaxed or talking very deeply, we sometimes do this pose. It shows that one is listening into the other. However, my friend seeing my posture asked me, “Do you have a headache?” I was surprised for her reaction because I have never thought about others perceiving this posture as “having a headache.”

The other example is that when I went to the U.S. for the first time. I remember I got a cultural shock for people’s use of gestures. In Japan, we don’t move our hands so much when we talk. However, in the U.S. people constantly move their hands when they talk. At first time, I thought they are upset or very emotional. However, after couple of months, I learned hand motions are part of the way they talk. It helps people to express themselves.

The differences of nonverbal displays are confusing at first, but very interesting to compare them. I learned that when I travel other countries, I shouldn’t make a judgment on others based on the first impression of their nonverbal displays. This is because I never know what the nonverbal displays mean in their country.

0 件のコメント: